If you have a spare bedroom in your home that is being underutilized, it’s a great time to re-evaluate the space and create a plan to make it more suited to your needs. Many of us are working from home now so our priorities have shifted.
A guest room is a wonderful place to incorporate a home office because in most cases the space is rarely used. All you need to do is add a desk. Here are five ways to make the change:
1. If you are short on space, a desk can double as a night stand next to your guest bed.
2. Another option is to replace the bed with a sleeper sofa or daybed, which will allow for more office space and can easily be converted back into a guest room.
3. For larger spaces you could dedicate a whole wall as office space. This gives you the space you need for day-to-day working from home, without completely overtaking the room.
4. Create the ultimate guest suite. This is another way to do it if you have a larger space to work with. It has everything you need to ensure your guests feel comfortable but with the addition of a desk. Think of it like a hotel stay. This is the perfect setup for long-term guests or work-from-home situations—there’s lots of space so you don’t have to worry about competing functions.
5. Convert a closet space. This design is great for someone who is tight on space and has an awkward nook or unused closet that can be converted into usable space. It’s also great if you like a desk that’s not out in the open. The key to making this layout work is to keep the nook sophisticated in style and cohesive with the rest of the room so it doesn’t end up feeling like a cluttered corner.