Spring is about to Spring and that means Cleaning...
Spring cleaning is especially prevalent in climates with a cold winter. Traditionally, everything in the house is thoroughly cleaned from drapery to furniture. March was often the best time for dusting because it was getting warm enough to open window and doors without getting cold but before insects were a problem. The high winds could carry the dust out to of the house. It was the time of year when furnaces wouldn’t run and you could wash all the soot from the walls and furniture.
Spring cleaning dates back to early times when both Jews and Christians prepared for the holy holidays. Today, spring cleaning is made a lot easier with vacuums and sophisticated HVAC systems that help with removing dust particles from the air. Still there are things you should address and do once a year.
Here is a checklist:
- Wipe walls and ceilings. Use a vacuum to remove dust. Tackle stubborn surface grime with solvent free degreaser.
- Shampoo rugs and have Orientals professionally cleaned.
- Dust books and shelves. Take everything off the shelves and brush shelves and books with a feather duster.
- Clean upholstered furnishings. Take cushions outside and gently beat them by hand to remove dust. If there are stains, check the pieces for care labels. Use a vacuum upholstery and crevice tools to clean under the seat cushions.
- Polish metal door and window hardware. Liquid polish works well.
- Dust your home thoroughly. This includes hard to reach places such as the tops of ceiling fans and window casings. Always work from the top of a room down, vacuuming the dust that settles on the floor.
- Wax wooden furniture. Wipe surfaces with a soft cloth dampened with water and mild dishwashing liquid. Apply paste wax, a few feet at a time with a cotton rag folded into square pad. Let wax dry; buff with a clean cloth.
- Ensure fire safety by changing the batteries in your smoke detectors and make sure they are dust free.
- Wash window screens. Use warm water and a mild dishwashing liquid…scrub and rinse.
- Vacuum and mop all flooring surfaces and wipe down all base boards.
- Take covers off ceiling lights and clean the inside of the covers and then return to the fixture.