Why would you want your own personal live-in massage therapist? Many studies have investigated the effects of massage therapy and have found improvements in anxiety and depression. Also, symptoms related to chronic illness improve following massage therapy. This is why massage therapy is increasingly being incorporated into the healthcare system. Studies have shown that depression, cortisol levels, anxiety and chronic pain were lower after a 5 day course of massage. The primary mechanism for the beneficial impact of massage therapy is related to the gate theory of pain. Pain neurons are less myelinated and shorter in length than pressure and touch receptors; thus, pressure and touch stimulate the nervous system at a faster rate. The pain stimulus is processed to a lesser degree.
Biochemically, massage therapy has been found to decrease cortisol levels and increase serotonin and dopamine levels. Cortisol is attributed to increased anxiety and inflammation. It increases under stressful activities and decreases with relaxation. Cortisol destroys natural killer cells, a type of immune cell that attacks cancer and viruses. Serotonin, often found in antidepressants and anti-pain medications, inhibits noxious signal transmission. Similarly, dopamine reduces depression and the effects of stress. Therefore, increasing serotonin and dopamine has beneficial effects on patients. Massage therapy also improves sleep, counteracting Substance P, a hormone related to decreased sleep and increased pain perception.
Maybe having a personal massage therapist is not too far out of your reach…take a look at the new massage chairs available on the market today. You may want to go test drive one today.
Here is an example:
The Cozzia Massage Chair is controlled by a microcomputer that performs various intelligent massage types and combinations such as kneading, Swedish, tapping, shiatsu, clapping, rolling, advanced 3D foot roller with rolling and scrapping for the soles, vibration and air massage. The new tablet features include advanced functions;
- Customize your massage by setting up a personal user profile that custom fits the chair and massage to your body.
- Air compression sensors automatically measure PSI for foot and calf massage.
- Patented touch-stop sensors in the footrest for height detection.
- Advanced technique choices such as scrapping, waving, pressing, pushing, pulling and pinching.
- Advanced 3D foot rollers.
- Touch operations embedded in the arm of the chair.
- USB port and speakers with Bluetooth capability.
- 3D massage mechanism that allows for a deep tissue massage,
- One touch zero gravity position.
- Twin rollers to mimic the feel of the human thumb.
- Sixty four air bags around the neck, shoulders, back, seat, arms, palms, calves, soles for extra comfort as it cradles the body like a glove.
- Auto-scanning detects the whole body curve as well as makes micro adjustments, which brings more humanistic and scientific massage enjoyment.
- Manual massage with six options: five levels of speed, air compression and three kinds of width adjustable.
- Heating therapy in the lumbar.
- Auto timer 5 to 30 minute options.
The Benefits include: Relief of back pain, muscle tension and soreness; improvement of blood circulation; relief from headaches, migraines and improved sleep; raised alertness; mental clarity and relaxation; relief from anxiety and depression; less pressure on nerves; decreased tension and improved flexibility; loosening of tight and strained muscles; managed anxiety and depression as it reduces levels of the stress hormone cortisol and increases serotonin levels resulting in lifted spirits and often lower blood pressure.